Fall 2008 Edition
Published February 22, 2008
© 2008 League of Women Voters of Alabama
Proposed Time Line for Constitutional Convention and Ratification
All votes of the people will be in conjunction with scheduled statewide elections.
The 1901 Constitution will be retained if a new Constitution is not approved by the people.
- February-May, 2008: Legislative Session to Consider Bill to Call for Convention
- June, 2010: Vote on Convention Question (Gubernatorial Primary Election)
- September, 2010: Must Qualify for Delegate Race (60 days prior to General Election)
- November, 2010: Election of Delegates; (Gubernatorial election) (Top Two vote recipients become delegates.)
- December 2010: Ethics Commission Lobbyist Reporting Required
- June 1, 2011: Convention Convenes (2011 Session March –May)
- September 30, 2011: Convention Funds End ( FY 2010-11)
- November 2012: Ratification Vote on New Constitution Offered (Presidential General Election)
- January 1, 2013: New Constitution Becomes Effective (if ratified)
click your browser's "print" command